Thursday, March 12, 2009

Isaiah


This morning, I came across Isaiah 28:19-20:


"From the time that it goeth forth it shall take you: for morning by morning shall it pass over, by day and by night: and it shall be a vexation only to understand the report.


For the bed is shorter than that a man can stretch himself on it: and the covering narrower than that he can wrap himself in it."


This reminded me of the slave ships in early American history. These ships were constructed of coffin-type constructions stacked on top of each other. For taller people, these "coffins" would have been quite uncomfortable.


It has been said that one could smell a slave ship seven miles away; only about forty percent of the passengers survived. People combed the coasts of Africa to kidnap as many as they could, morning by morning, night by night.


It was a vexation to me to understand the report of all this as I took an American Literary History class at BYU.


I'm no scriptorian, but this is what this scripture has always reminded me of.

No comments:

Google