Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Work

Today was snowy, as usual. One thing that I notice about working for a company full of drivers is that snowy roads can literally affect an entire day. When making a delivery, our customers will attempt to make small talk. They talk about driving to work as if it is a trek. "...Yeah, there was, like, four inches of snow on my car this morning, and it took me, like, fifteen minutes to drive to work, and I live five miles away."

"Yeah, buddy, I just shoveled three employee vehicles out of the snow, and there's two road closures, so we had to modify all the routes. I totally get where you're coming from." There are some things that I never say aloud.

Today I feel lucky I didn't get into an accident. While I was meeting another driver to make a transfer, a red pickup came careening around the corner like it was hot-rod season in July. Only it's January, and his car lost control a hundred feet from the nose of my vehicle. Another incident almost occurred when an older couple made a right-hand turn in the left-only lane. I was in the right-hand lane, two feet away from a calm looking grandma who had no idea whether her husband was even on the road and who seemed to care less.

No comments:

Google