Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Freezing Rain

My mom and I went out in the freezing rain to get socks. There are weather warnings that say "no unecessary travel," and my mom needed socks. Go figure. None of the two stores we went to had socks in a women's large, so she bought a pair of athletic shoes to keep her feet warm, and we went to Albertson's, where I used to work. It's so weird to go back to a place that was once so familiar. I see something out of place on one of the shelves and have the instinct to put it away, forgetting that I'm a customer, not an employee. It feels weird to be in Albertson's and not be in a checkstand or pushing a long line of carts while trying to dodge traffic at the same time. People didn't care that I was wearing a bright orange vest; they would look right at me and revv their engines. Today I instictively looked around for cars, but no one would run me over because I wasn't wearing a bright-orange target.

No comments:

Google