Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fat Lip

A half hour ago my sister came over with her four-year-old daughter cradled in her arms. The girl had been running and tripped on the porch, hitting her lip on the pavement. Her front tooth had gone completely through her upper lip. Both of her front teeth were quite loose, and I think that she will be toothless in the following week. She was pretty good; she just cried softly while my mom tried to see the damage. The inside of her lip looks like hamburger. She wouldn't let us take off her bloody clothes to wash them.

As my mom was taking care of my niece, she told about how all of us kids had had similar injuries. Janelle was playing in the bathtub with EmmaLee, and cut her lip on the metal soap holder. Sarah was running with a pencil in her mouth and tripped. Last but not least, I cut my lip tripping into a coffee table. History repeats itself.

No comments:

Google