Saturday, August 23, 2008

Art Festival

I went to the art festival in Swan Valley, and there was a lot of great art. The vendors there were all local artists, and I especially enjoyed the oil paintings and watercolors of the Tetons and other landmarks in the area that I could recognize, like the Snake River. It was fun to visit with the quirky artists about their work and find out how they got started. One lady started when her neighbor got a divorce. His wife left behind a kiln that sat in his garage for a while. The lady I met bought the kiln from him for a few hundred dollars, and they are worth a few thousand. She then started melting glass together and experimenting with it. She now does quite well selling glass pendants as jewlery.

It was nice to have a Saturday off to just enjoy the art festival and unpack my things. I had packed in such a hurry that I didn't discover that I had thrown in my container of flour with all of my dishes. As I opened the box to unpack, a white cloud billowed from the top, revealing the spilled flour. I had to rewash all of my dishes, and in the process discovered that my mom had packed appliances I didn't even know I had or that were even in the apartment. Apparently, the people who lived there before me left some stuff in the dark corners of the cabinets were I didn't ever look. These items included a broken electric can-opener that was covered with food and what-not, and a pan with the teflon scraped off of it. I threw these items away.

No comments:

Google