Saturday, December 29, 2007

Metalic Gold Hair

I was thinking about the increasing awareness of body image in younger and younger girls. I tried to think back to see if I had had any insecurities about my looks at a young age. I was very pleased with my body, but I read in fairy tales about beautiful women that had hair as if it were spun from pure gold. My hair was already a golden hue, and it was shiny, but I wanted my hair to have a metalic sheen. At Christmas time, I would enviously look at the tiny metalic fringe of the tinsel on our decorations. I would steal the tinsel and wrap it around my head in a spiral and pretend that it was my real hair. I thought that having hair that was made of pure gold would give me money, too, as every time that I would get a haircut, I could sell my hair for a profit.

I also wanted a bowl haircut because I had seen a couple of girls with short hair and it looked so pretty. If my hair was also made of gold, how pretty would it be to have a gold-encrusted bowl haircut! I would be the prettiest girl in town, and everyone would marvel at my hair and how it shone, not like real hair, but like a metallic masterpiece.

I obsessed over this for a while, but by the time I reached the second grade, I came to the realization that my hair would never be metallic and that no one in the whole world had metallic hair. I began to appreciate hair with natural shine, and today it seems silly that I ever thought that I would someday have metallic gold hair. Now my hair is golden in color and even more beautiful than the tinsel on the trees. (And more natural!)

No comments:

Google